Tuesday, January 29, 2013

38 Weeks +3: The Perfect Name

Sometimes we make things too hard on ourselves.

We won't name our child after any living relative. There are a lot of living relatives on my side of the family.

We won't give our child a name that reminds us of people we've known who we don't really like.

We don't want our child to have a trendy name.

We don't want our child to have a kind-of-boring name.

We don't want to name him something that sounds like we're trying really hard to name him something cool.

We don't want to totally ignore the times and name him something that will be made fun of forever.

There can't be rhyming.

We thought we'd name him that name that makes us both think "THAT'S IT!"

But here we are, 12 days from my due date, without that.

Right now my personal favorites have been dashed. That leaves my husband's favorite. I'm trying really hard to convince myself that I can do it, that I can come up with an endearing nickname from it, that it doesn't actually sound as bad as it does in my head. I mean, he really loves it. And I totally get the significance behind it. It's just... I don't love it like he does. That said, I think it meets all of the above criteria (less the "That's it!" factor).

Also, it has passed the toddler test. Of all of the names, First likes this one the best, too. And it's really cute when he says it. Maybe I'll practice shouting it like I would from the soccer sidelines. After all, he won't be an itty bitty baby forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment