Sunday, October 7, 2012

22 Weeks: Baby Fat & Eating Well

I've just read my Baby Center app update that my one-pound baby is starting to look like a newborn. That I could see deep wrinkles in his skin, "which will be filled in before birth by a nice padding of fat."

First popped out a wrinkly, fat-free 6-pounder. I don't take it for granted that Second will come out all fat and squishy. In fact, I'm a bit worried about it. I wonder what I should be eating. Should I eat more healthfully? More fat? Less sugar? More protein?

I'm not so worried about my weight gain. (At least not yet.) Maybe it's because I only gained 20 pounds in my last pregnancy. And maybe that was because First was jammed into my gall bladder through half of it and I couldn't bear to eat anything containing more than 8 grams of fat. And maybe that was why he had no padding. Who knows?

Hunger is pretty much a given. String cheese, nuts, wholemeal toast with peanut butter, fruit, whole wheat crackers... these things I consume regularly between meals with things like scrambled eggs, toasted turkey sandwiches, lentil and rice pilaf, broiled salmon... which I consume regularly between things like handfuls (plural) of chocolate chips, spoonfuls (plural) of Nutella, a couple (of couple) of cookies, Halloween candy.

I don't know what else I could be doing to contribute to the fattening of this child. While I'm telling myself not to worry about, it's in my nature to find something to stress about.

And now I find this article, about how stress affects a baby's birthweight.

Hm.

::turns on nature sounds and Googles "prenatal yoga at home"::

No comments:

Post a Comment