Thursday, June 21, 2012

Positively Positive


Is it normal for women to be nonchalant about a pregnancy after their first child?

There isn't that nervous-excited feeling this time. Maybe it's because I know roughly what to expect (you know, heartburn, giant boobs and a baby). Maybe it's because I don't want to deal with the Tricare Dance of a Million Phone Calls to get in to see the OB. Maybe it's because I'm exhausted, and days of moving and chasing around First don't leave me with much time to think about it.

Part of it is having experienced a miscarriage before, to be sure. And, honestly, there are twins in my family, and I'm a little terrified of being the one to bring the next generation of them.

It's a mixed bag of procrastination-worthy emotions, really.

Earlier this week I finally got around to calling the right place to get an authorization to do a pregnancy test at the base hospital so that I can get a referral to an OB to schedule my first appointment. (See what I'm talking about?) And, wouldn't you know, their pee test showed the same results as my pee test. [Positive.] A nurse will call in the next 60 hours to set up my referral.

I remember the first time around, when I couldn't believe I would have to wait until I was EIGHT WEEKS along to be seen. Surely I would have lost my mind waiting 3 days for a phone call to schedule that first appointment.
I suppose now I know how very, very long 40 weeks can be, when you have to squat to pick up that spoon you dropped on the kitchen floor.

Are you pregnant with your second (or third, or fourth...) child? Do you feel differently about it this time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment